Hampshire & Islands Quakers

Home
& News
Local
Meetings
Members'
Pages
Contacts
& Links

Southampton Local Quaker Meeting

Friends Meeting House
1a Ordnance Road
Southampton
Hampshire
SO15 2AZ

Days and Times of Meetings for Worship:

Every Sunday at 10.45 a.m.
Children's Meeting on the third Sunday of the month at 10.45 a.m.


Visitors are always welcome.

Directions: On foot - 3/4 mile from Railway Station
About Us: We are an active Meeting (usually about 50 people attend on Sundays) with a wide age range and a variety of interests.

Contact: Clerk: Hazel Inskip

Concerning the Meeting House: Tel. 023 80223758 or for lettings email

Romsey Worshipping Group

With the support of Southampton Quaker Meeting, a worshipping group now meets regularly in Romsey.
For details see here: Romsey Worshipping Group

Fareham Worshipping Group

With the support of Portsmouth and Southampton Quaker Meetings, a worshipping group now meets regularly in Fareham.
For details see here: Fareham Worshipping Group

Responsibilities within our Local Quaker Meeting

The list of members and attenders who currently hold positions within our local Southampton meeting or more widely as Southampton nominees is within the password-protected area for members and attenders here. The job descriptions for various appointments will be available here soon.

The new username and password for the members' and attenders' area on the renewed website have been circulated or you can ask the web administrators

Expenses

The Southampton Quaker Meeting Expenses Claim Form is here.
The Meeting House, built in 1884, is used during the week by a number of local organisations.

A little history of Southampton Quakers and Southampton Friends Meeting House

George Fox, the founder of the Quaker movement, came to Southampton in 1655. One of the earliest Southampton Quakers was George Embree. He lived in the parish of All Saints and early Quaker Meetings were held at his house. In defiance of the Conventicle Act, Quakers held their Meetings openly. Between 1657 and 1666 some sixty Friends were persecuted, a third of them women.

George Embree died in September 1678 and left a legacy to Southampton Friends which still survives. He had bought a piece of land known as the 'cabbidge plot' on the road leading to Winchester and presented it to the Meeting in 1662 as a burial ground, since when it has been in continual use, and is now the only private burial ground in Southampton.

After the passing of the Toleration Act in 1689, Friends began to think about building a Meeting House. Eventually they found a site in Castle Lane and built a Meeting House with a yard for tethering horses. During the eighteenth century, the number of Quakers in Southampton declined and the Castle Lane Meeting House fell into disuse. By the early nineteenth century the population of Southampton was increasing rapidly as more people were moving into the town. Two Friends, William Colson Westlake and Joseph Ball advanced money for a new Meeting House in Castle Square which continued in use from 1822 to 1884.

By 1880 the town was extending rapidly northwards and the Meeting House was described as 'situate in a degraded part of the town'. The decision was taken to build a new Meeting House in Ordnance Road, conveniently close to the burial ground in the Avenue. The architect was instructed to design 'something between a chapel, a mission room and a club building'. The Quakers in 1884 sought to provide a building which would serve the needs of the Meeting well into the twentieth century, which it has done.