Hampshire & Islands Quakers

& News
& Links

Alton Local Quaker Meeting

Friends Meeting House
39 Church Street
Hampshire GU34 2DA

Days and times of Meetings for Worship

We have a Meeting for Worship every Sunday morning at 10.15 for one hour and every Friday morning at 10.15 for half an hour.

There is a children’s meeting every Sunday morning, when they enjoy a variety of activities and join the main meeting for a few minutes.

Everyone is very welcome to join us.

Petersfield Worshipping Group

A small group now meets monthly in Petersfield.

Details are here.

About Us

Quakers have met at Alton Meeting House since 1672. Today we're a fairly small but lively bunch of people, typically about 20 to 25 meeting each Sunday, with an active group of youngsters.

We regularly run discussion groups and other activities.

Contact the clerk by email
Our beautiful old Meeting House is welcoming and quiet, and our adjacent burial ground and garden is very pleasant, too.
Several local groups hire the Meeting House regularly, and Alton Counselling Service is based in our upstairs gallery area.


Alton is in the north-east corner of Hampshire, about 12 miles south of Basingstoke. The Quaker Meeting House is very near the town centre, just beyond St Lawrence's church.

Several car parks are nearby (and there are two disabled parking bays outside the Meeting House).

The railway station is about half a mile away, and Alton is served by bus services from several local towns.

Please contact us for advice if you have limited mobility or need further information about finding us.

A little history

Alton Friends Meeting House is the second-oldest purpose-built Meeting House in the world that is still in use. It was built in Church Street in 1672 at a cost of £204.

Since then there have been a few alterations – for example a new floor was laid in 1730, and a cottage added to the end of the building in 1832.

We have added a few modern things, like a kitchen, toilets, electricity and heating! However, very recently we've improved things further with the installation of a toilet for disabled people, a 'Reading Room' which houses our small library, and we've renovated other parts that were in much need of it.

Next to the peaceful and characterful meeting house is an area of grass and trees. This is an active Quaker burial ground, in which there are about 20 gravestones, laid down and surrounded by grass. Most of the graves are not now marked in any way. They were originally, and the stones have been moved to the boundard wall. These are now hidden by the hedge around the burial ground.

This page was updated on 21 March 2019.